Wednesday, March 11, 2009

chronic fatigue: about what causes it

Actually the causes of chronic fatigue are what I wrote about on my previous post, but , as usual, I think I published an incomplete thought. All of my ranting yesterday about the universal message of never being good enough which we receive from our culture, our families, and ourselves is the crux of the thought. The completion of that thought is that it drives us to overwork, with a big dose of anxiety thrown in. And in pursuit of the goal of finally being successful - even good enough - we learn not to value the things our body needs. Such as good food prepared with our own hands, adequate sleep, and gentle rejuvenating exercise. We also forget the things which feed our spirits such as laughter, friendship, and spiritual/emotional growth. The result is that we don't listen to our bodies until the minor things which might be warning signs become major things we can't ignore. Like Chronic Fatigue.

So now for example, even after six years of careful rejuvenation, I still struggle with fatigue. Frankly, I did too much yesterday, woke up tired, and have had to spend today resting even though it was a spectacular 60 degree day and I would have loved to have been in the garden. At least I recover more quickly now and there's a chance that I will be able to enjoy some activity in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment