Thursday, March 26, 2009

the weather is under the weather

This is that little reminder that winter always drops on us just when we really begin to believe in spring.


About a month ago K got the news that he would be taking a pay cut of about 1/3. We are lucky to still be in a position to pay our bills but it means that it will be longer before the debts are payed off and he can retire. Since I came down with chronic fatigue I have not been able to work so I find myself walking in my mother's footsteps, trying to find every possible way to cut household expenses. One thing I can do is cook to replace some of the pre-prepared food we buy at the grocery store. As you could see from my previous post I am making an attempt to make bread. Since I really love good bread and really good bread is approaching $4 a loaf these days, this could be a way to cut costs. Also there is the satisfaction of doing something for ourselves and our bodies, and the fact that food one has spent time and energy on feeds one's body more fully. So I am baking bread and coming up with things that will make enough to leave leftovers in the fridge which K might be tempted to eat. Of course he has "husband refrigerator blindness" and so it's an ongoing battle.



Anyway, back to the weather. Since I know that every pleasant spring day will draw me out to work on the gardens I have been using these stormy days to get a few things cooked in advance.

Here is a great brine for an inexpensive pork loin which I did over the last few days. The brine makes the meat stay moist through cooking and gives it some flavor. It has a slightly Asian flavor to it but not so strong that one can't use the leftovers for just about any purpose. In addition to the initial serving of Roast Pork Loin, I intend to use the pork for Sandwiches, Pork fried rice, Arroz A la Malloquina, and Japanese Curry Rice. It was a big Pork Loin but quite inexpensive at a dollar forty something a pound.



adapted from epicurious.com



Brine for Pork Loin

1 T whole Sichuan Peppercorns

6 whole star Anise

3 sticks cinnamon

1 T cloves

1 T Coriander Seed

1 3 inch piece fresh ginger - sliced

1 C Kosher Salt

Combine spices with a few cups water in a a saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally until boiling and salt is dissolved. Remove from heat and add enough water to cool the spice mixture to room temp. Place Spice mixture and pork loin in a metal or ceramic container big enough for pork loin to be submerged. I cut a large loin into 3 pieces and put the three pieces in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover and swish things around a bit to distribute the salt and spices. Let the loin sit in the brine in a refrigerator for two or three days. Remove Pork from the brine, wipe off any spices that cling and roast Pork in the oven or on the grill, or cut into cubes for rice dishes or strips for stir fry.

It occurs to me that these are not cheap spices, but since I already had them before the axe fell it is economic to use what I have on hand. When they run out I'll have to rethink.


I feel quite energized by the thought of making a difference in our situation with cooking. So I'm giving it a whole lot more energy that I should and tiring myself out every day. I know I will pay the penalty but I don't seem to be able to hold myself back, there are so many things I could make! This period of excitement will just have to run its course, then perhaps I will be able to approach it more sensibly. Part of accepting life with Chronic Fatigue is accepting the fact that I sometimes don't operate wisely, but I do enjoy my life!





Spring is really here even though it doesn't seem like it today. Here's a shot of a miniature nectarine tree in bloom. It bloomed last year but had no fruit. It probably needs a pollinator, but I won't be buying any new trees this year so I'll just enjoy its extravagant pink blooms.




No comments:

Post a Comment