Thursday, March 12, 2009

what a spectacular day

After a cool start it was a really wonderful day - too warm to work in long sleeves. Well it is seed starting time and I'm on a high from having my hands in the dirt, my head in the sunshine and an accomplishment under my belt. It is true that soil contains an antidepressant, the best one I've ever tried.

Of course to do any one thing you have to do three other things in order to get that one thing done. So I uncovered my potting bench (of all the debris it had collected from its time in the garage), dragged it out of the garage and up some curved steps to the back yard gate. It's about eight feet long and heavy enough that I can only just lift it. I'm sure anyone watching would have got a laugh out of all of that. Once I got it inside the back yard gate I put one end of the table in a garden cart and carried the other end, hauling it to a new place on the back patio.

Of course I then had to spray it down with a couple of spray cans of outdoor urethane. letting it dry while I moved the bags of soil pep that were in the way, still there from last year when I didn't get it spread. Then covering the table with a sheet of plastic in case it wasn't thoroughly dry I finally got down to the business of starting the seeds.

I have the usual collection of Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peppers, Herbs, a few flowers, plus Okra and Artichokes and a few other thing I can't remember at the moment. I'm always excited about trying some new things and this year it's Epazote and Tomatillos for Mexican food, Asparagus, and Leeks.

In all of the things I had to do today it seemed like I had an unusual clarity. The solutions to problems and the decisions about what to do came with unusual ease, I really liked it. I hope it has something to do with the acupressure method I've been working with lately and that it will continue.

Right now from the way I feel, exhilarated and tired, I'm guessing I did too much and won't be having such a good day tomorrow. Still, it sure was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment