Tuesday, March 17, 2009

garden makeovers



The weather has been so beautiful these days, it's too good to be indoors. In accord with the theory that one should do what makes one happy, rather than what one "should" do , I worked on an area that has been bothering me and did a redo. It required hard work, which makes me tired, which is hard to recover from. But nevertheless these lovely days would be wasted without grabbing a chance to work and do something good.

Above is a before picture, it's the garden in front of the greenhouse that I have been wanting to redo. although I love day lilies I have not been pleased with the messy appearance of the massed day lily bed in this location. So I dug it up, raised the bed with a stone edging, and prepped it to be planted in vegetables this year. It's already warm enough to plant lettuce, onion, chard, and peas from seed. Later I will add Tomatoes and green beans. This location is sunny about half the day, being shaded on one side with a tree and on the other side by the house. The soil is very shallow, we're on the crest of a sandstone hill. That's the reason for raising the bed.


Here is the improved bed, of course it'll be better when there's something green growing in it. Spring is the time for bursting out from our winter dormancy. It's time to grow, and watch things growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment